News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/18/2018 3:38:00 PM to 2/6/2020 3:50:46 PM.

News Flash

Recover Bay County

Posted on: November 7, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Michael Nov. 7 update


  • The Bay County Medical Examiner is reporting 21 casualties in Bay County.  
  • The 211 Citizen Hotline continues to receive non-emergency calls. For out-of-state callers, please dial (850) 248-6099.
  • Please visit for recovery information.
  • No curfew is in place at this time.
  • On Wednesday, Nov. 8 the National Weather Service forecasts showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Conditions will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Recover Bay County – By the Numbers

Feeding Assistance

Salvation Army: 356,638 total meals

Red Cross Meals:  444,326 total meals

36 Emergency Response Vehicles (ERV’s) doing mobile feeding with the Red Cross.

Total sheltered: 448

Debris Management:  An estimated 1.56 million cubic yards of debris collected total throughout Bay County (Story Map)

Bay County to host hazardous waste collection event

Due to Hurricane Michael, on Nov. 8, 2018, Bay County Hazardous Waste will host a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) hazardous waste collection with US Ecology out at the Steelfield Road Landfill Hazardous Waste Building.  If you have any hazardous waste from your CESQG business, this is your opportunity to dispose of your waste with U.S. Ecology under our contract pricing for disposal and supplies. 

Please call U.S. Ecology at 813-319-3400 to set an appointment and/or get pricing. This collection event is only for businesses, however, we do take household hazardous waste year round.

If you have any questions, you can call Bay County Solid Waste at (850) 236-2212.

Miami Dade Commissioner Visits Bay County EOC

Miami Dade County Commissioner Jose Diaz, along with several law-enforcement agencies from South Florida, donated six tractor trailers full of goods for Hurricane Michael victims in Bay County.

They also gifted a police car to the city of Parker. We are so grateful to Commissioner Diaz and the Miami Dade community for helping Bay County recover.

Commissioner Diaz was welcomed to the Bay County Emergency Operations Center by Commissioner Philip "Griff" Griffitts, Tax Collector Chuck Perdue, and Parker Police Chief Dennes Hutto.

Renters Facing Eviction in Florida May Be Eligible for Federal Help 

Florida renters who face eviction or have been evicted from their storm-damaged rental homes or apartments — whether the dwelling had damage or not — may be eligible for disaster assistance from FEMA.

There are several ways to apply: 

Go online to

Call FEMA at 800-621-3362 (voice, 711 or VRS) or 800-462-7585 (TTY) anytime from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

Visit a disaster recovery center. Survivors may visit any center to receive one-on-one help. To find a center, go to  

Renters who already registered for federal assistance and were later evicted due to damage should take the eviction notice to a disaster recovery center. 

Survivors who cannot afford an attorney may call the Florida Bar Disaster Hotline at (866) 550-2929. Find more information at

Displaced renters and home owners from Bay, Gulf and Jackson counties who need a safe place to stay while searching for longer-term housing may be eligible for short-term sheltering stays paid by FEMA. Visit 

Renters may be eligible for grants from FEMA to help with disaster-related expenses such as:

Renting a home when the renter’s previous one is unsafe due to the disaster, or his/her apartment complex is under repair.

Moving and storage fees.

Repair or replacement of vehicles damaged by the disaster.

Those who have HUD rental assistance may receive FEMA help to pay for a place to live until:

They relocate back to public housing.

They relocate back to the private housing that provides HUD assistance.

They sign a lease with a private property owner using a Section 8 voucher.

When the survivor moves back into a HUD-assisted residence or signs a new lease for a rental housing under the Section 8 program, HUD assistance resumes. At that point, the survivor may no longer receive FEMA assistance.

The grants are not loans and do not have to be repaid. They are not taxable income and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid, welfare assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits and several other programs. 

Businesses, Farmers, Ranchers Hurt by Disaster Can Seek Help

People, including farmers and ranchers, whose homes were damaged or destroyed may qualify for help from FEMA. To find out who might be eligible, visit or call 800-621-3362.

Disaster assistance may be available through other federal agencies to businesses for damaged business property or economic losses as a direct result of a presidentially declared disaster. Farmers and ranchers in Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Leon, Liberty, Taylor, Wakulla, and Washington counties may be eligible.

The USDA Farm Service Agency make low-interest disaster loans to provide working capital and to repair or replace damaged property not covered by insurance. For more information and county meeting dates, log onto

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans up to $2 million to businesses of any size and private nonprofits to repair/replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets.

Economic Injury Disaster Loans from SBA may help small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and nonprofits to meet working-capital needs caused by the disaster. EIDL assistance is available all the designated counties and contiguous counties regardless of the business’s property damage.

Bay Area Transportation Demand Response

If you are unable to access Bay Town Trolley’s fixed route service, you may qualify for Bay Area Transportation’s Demand Response service!


To qualify, you must have no other means of transportation available and at least one of the following criteria:

  •  Applicant does not live on a bus route serviced by Bay Town Trolley; or
  •  Applicant is age 60 or older; or
  •  Applicant’s income level falls below current federal poverty guidelines:
  •  Applicant has a disability preventing the use of a bus route serviced by Bay Town Trolley

Applications are available at:

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Recover Bay County

rehouse bay

Rehouse Bay

Posted on: February 6, 2020
Test newsflash

Rebuild Bay County website

Posted on: February 6, 2020