Builders Services

In This Section

  • Permits (Contractors and Homeowner/Builder Permits)

Several of these files are in pdf format and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you do not have the reader, you can download it for free from the Adobe website. For ADA compliance for the visually impaired, we recommend online conversion tools for Adobe PDF documents.


What Triggers A Certain Permit:
Building (B)

Any construction, remodeling, renovation, addition, moving or demolition of a building or structure. Dock and Seawall - any new construction and any structural change or repair.

Electrical (E)

Any installation, addition or major repair.

Fire (FS)

Required for certificate of occupancy (new construction) and as required or requested for day cares, restaurants, etc. Alarm � any new installation, and panel changes, and any additions to existing systems.

Gas (G)

Any installation, addition or major repair.

Alternate Energy Systems

Any installation or repair of solar, wind or other alternate energy system and supporting structures, wiring or piping.

Land Clearing (L)

Ensure that proper erosion control measures are taken when land is cleared so as to avoid sediment runoff onto adjacent properties and to reduce sedimentation of drainage systems and water bodies; avoid the destruction of protected trees; and ensure that required buffers are maintained.

Mechanical )M)

Any installation, addition or major repair.

Mobile Home Set-Up (MH)

Any new set-up and any change-out.

Plumbing (P)

Any installation, addition or major repair.

Pollutant Storage System (PS)

Any removal or installation of a pollutant storage tank, to include foundation for aboveground tank.

Roofing (R)

Any replacement or repair of more than 100 square feet for a residential project. Any commercial installation or major repair.

Sign (S)

Any new construction and any structural change or repair.

Swimming Pool (SP)

Any new construction and any structural change or repair.

Vinyl Siding (VS)

Any installation of vinyl siding (requires the contractor to hold a Specialty License).

Change of
Occupancy/Use (OC)

Any change of use of a structure.

Panama City Permits

For permitting within the city limits of Panama City, prior approval from Panama City Planning & Zoning Department is required. The forms required by the City of Panama City are located in our documents section. After approval by the City, you can then submit the standard forms required by Bay County.

For additional information on Panama City's requirements, please go to the City's website at or contact the City's Planning & Zoning Department at 850-872-3025.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a building permit needed?

A building permit is needed to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move or demolish a building or structure.

Where and how do I apply for a building permit?

The Builders Services Division is located at 840 West 11th Street, Panama City, Florida, 32401. Our hours are from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Checklists showing the items required to be submitted for a permit are available under our Online Forms.

How long will it take to get a permit?

A complete submittal for a residential permit may take up to seven days for plan review and permitting. Commercial projects may take fourteen days or longer depending upon the complexity.

How long is a building permit valid?

Typically, as long as work is being performed on the project, the permit is valid. It is required to obtain a valid inspection to verify ongoing construction. If 180 days elapse without an approved inspection, your permit expires.

How much does a building permit cost?

The cost will depend on the intended use, size and type of construction of the building. A building permit for a typical site-built, single-family dwelling ranges from $300 (good) to $450 (average). Sub-permits are sold separately. More information on permit fees can be located under Fees & Costs.

How do I request an inspection?

Inspection requests may be called 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Inspection requests called in after 4:30 p.m. will be made the following workday.

I plan to purchase or build a house. Can you tell me if it is in a flood zone?

Planning & Zoning provides flood zone information for unincorporated Bay County. You may contact our Planning & Zoning Department at 850-248-8250.

Where can I view the code books?

The Florida Building Code can be viewed at: